Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 27:

The last weekend of the challenge has started and I chose to begin the festivities with a double workout.  I started by doing a six mile trail run and followed it with an infamous Crossfit WOD known as "Fight Gone Bad".  At the completion I had an awful side stitch and was left gasping for air - but it was the nice kind of pain.  The kind that reminds you what you are capable of accomplishing.

One of the additional rules that the gym has instituted for the challenge allows competitors to acquire bonus points.  This week's bonus was to try a protein source that you have never tried before.  I chose something that I've been curious about for a while, but a little afraid to try: sardines.

I felt a bit like a hobo when I opened this can...get your hands off of my gunny sack!

I opted to buy two tins, the first were skinned and boned fillets and the second were some strange package from Spain whose contents were vaguely specified.  After the workout that left me exhausted, I opted for the skinned and boned fillets.  As I warily opened the can, I quickly discovered that the cats would love to help me consume them should they not be to my liking.  I tried one fillet by itself and actually found it to be quite tasty.  It was a lot like tuna but with a milder flavor.  I served the rest in a salad of mixed greens and tomatoes with a lime vinaigrette. 

They taste a lot like tuna, I swear!

The weather was absolutely beautful today.  It seems that it has done nothing but rain and snow for the last 4 months but today was warm (about 60 degrees) and sunny.  We ended up running a lot of miscallaneous errands today including going to the grocery store.  It was a bit weird because I was faced with buying some food items for after the challenge.  For the last 30 days trips to the store involved going to two departments: produce and meats (with the occasional trip to the interior for canned or frozen veggies).  It is pretty astounding how many aisles are devoted to completely processed foods.  If nothing else, the challenge has opened my eyes to that fact.

Workout:
Ran 6 miles @ 8min/mile pace
-Buy In-
Group Med Ball Warm Up
“Fight Gone Bad”
Wall-ball, 10 ft target (Reps) 20
Sumo deadlift high-pull (Reps) 75
Box jump (Reps) 20 Inch Box
Push-press (Reps) 75
Row (Calories)
All movements are performed for 1 minute , moving from one to another. After all five movements are completed, a 1 minute rest is taken. 3 Rounds are to be completed.

I completed the workout with 284 reps.

Food Journal:
Breakfast: 2 poached eggs
                  3oz ham steak
Post Workout: Whey Protein Shake mixed with water
                          Orange
Lunch: Sardine salad
             Cashews
Dinner: Roasted Turkey Breast
              Grilled Veggies
              Grapes, Pineapple, Melon
Late Snack: Cashews
                    Celery with almond butter

Sleep:
9 hours - I'm not sure I can afford to keep this up

No comments:

Post a Comment