Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day 21

Well folks, we are in the home stretch here.  Today is Sunday and that means I attended the "Sunday Morning Church of the Long Run".  I think I finally figured out this Paleo fueling thing.  I woke up a few hours before the start of the run and made up a batch of the sweet potato and apple hash.  This is a fairly carb dense meal for a Paleo dish and it seemed to be the perfect anti-bonking fuel.  I also added two chicken & apple sausage links to round out the meal.  The run for today was petty intense.  The only thing more demanding than running up Mt. Washington during a long run is running up Mt. Washington twice.  I made it through 16.5 miles and although tired at the end I didn't feel miserable.

Needless to say, when I got home I was starving.  Now was the time to try out that mango salsa I purchased last week as a chicken marinade.  The lovely wife was kind enough to start making this while I was driving home from the run.  By the time I got home and showered, the chicken was ready.  I really enjoyed this dish; the mango provided a little bit of sweetness while the peppers in the salsa gave it a nice kick.  The lovely wife tried a bite and decided to pass.  She has never been a fan of combining sweet flavors with protein.  Ah well, more for me. 

Mango Goodness

After scarfing down the chicken, I was still pretty hungry. Since I was feeling a bit veggie deprived, we made up some awesome brussel sprouts and bacon.  We followed this recipe except we added the sprouts directly to the pan with the bacon fat in it and put the whole thing in the oven.  The lovely wife complained that she didn't like brussel sprouts, but I convinced her to give them a try.  I piled my plate full and she opted to take only one...and then another...and another.  "They taste like the inside of an eggroll", she beamed.  And that is how 1/3 of the brussel sprouts disappeared.

"It tastes like the inside of an eggroll"

For dinner we used another of Nicole's recipes - this time for Paleo Chili (the girl knows her soups/stews).  I never really considered eating chili without beans before the challenge.  I won't say that I didn't miss them, but the bacon really makes up for their absesnce.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaw!

Workout:
16.5 mile long run with insane hills

Food Jorunal:
Breakfast: Sweet Potato & Apple Hash
                   Chicken & Apple Sausage
Post Workout: Orange
Lunch: Mango Salsa Chicken
             Brussel Sprouts w/ Bacon
             Orange
PM Snack: Raspberries & Blueberries
                   Macadamia Nuts
Dinner: Paleo Chili
              Blueberries

Sleep:
8 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment