Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 5


I made it through the first five days.  Now comes the real challenge. Not only is the weekend starting, but both sets of parents are coming to town to see their grandchildren.  Generally this means ordering up some pizza, wings, fries, you know all the healthy stuff.  My parents are slated to arrive on Saturday and we will have lunch together.  My plan of attack is to meet them at my brother's place with rotisserie chickens and sides in tow.  I can get a few non-paleo sides for them to enjoy, but the bulk of the meal I'll be able to partake in.  This in theory should get me through Saturday.


I felt mostly tired and sore today.  Perhaps I'm not getting enough calories or maybe my body is unhappily getting used to the idea that sugars and carbohydrates are out for a while, but I didn't feel 100% for much of the day.  There isn't too much exciting to report for the breakfast and lunch meals.  Breakfast was a egg, ham and veggie scramble (It was supposed to be an omelet, but I forgot to oil the pan :p).  Lunch was left over lamb burgers, salad and guacamole.


After I got home from work, I did a tempo run.  A tempo run is a moderate distance run at a pace that is faster than a comfortable pace.  My run consisted of a one mile warm-up and then five miles at a 7:24 pace (this is right around my current half-marathon pace) and then one mile cool-down.  The run felt pretty nice, aside from gale force winds, the temperature was ideal.  I definitely had to push myself to keep the pace and that made the workout all the more rewarding.


While I was running my wife started roasting some spaghetti squash for dinner.  The menu for tonight was spaghetti squash with buffalo marinara sauce.  All in all this was a pretty simple meal to prepare.  The squash was split in half and the seeds and membranes are removed.  It is then brushed with olive oil and roasted in a 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes.  When it is done roasting, the inside of the squash peels away in spaghetti-like strands as shown here:




The spaghetti squash originated on Mars
 

For the sauce, we sautéed some onion and garlic and then browned 1lb of ground buffalo meat.  The buffalo meat was very lean and therefore there was no fat to drain after it had been cooked.  Then we added an off-the-shelf no sugar added organic marinara sauce and voila, dinner was served:



Either that dish is steaming or our house is haunted - you decide. 


Workout:
Tempo Run - 1 mile warm-up 5 miles @ 7:24 pace, 1 mile cool-down (7 miles total)




Food Journal:
Breakfast: Egg and Veggie Scramble
                Blackberries
AM Snack: Almonds
                   Orange
Lunch: Lamb burger w/ Onions, Mushrooms & Guacamole over Mixed greens
           Carrot Sticks
PM Snack: Avocado wrapped in turkey
Post Workout: Whey Protein Shake
Dinner: Spaghetti Squash w/ no sugar added marinara sauce and ground buffalo


Sleep:
8 hours.  This is starting to be a habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment