Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 4

A couple of things to note in day 4:
  1. The diet does not leave me feeling hungry.  I feel like I'm able to eat enough that I'm not constantly dreaming of my next meal.
  2. The caffeine withdrawal headaches are gone.  I limited myself to a single cup of green tea today and felt fine.
  3. Today was the first day I was tempted.  I happened to pass by our pantry and a box of raisin bran started calling to me. "Mike...I've missed you.  I'm sweet and crunchy and go great with milk." 
In other news, after a couple of days of trying Robb Wolf's recipes and finding them only so-so, I took the advice of a fellow Paleo enthusiast that is also keeping a blog and she referred me to yet another Paleo blogger that had a great collection of recipes.  Since I did all the shopping for the Week 1 of Robb's menu, I scanned the recipes for something that would match the ingredients that I had on hand.  I made a variation of this delightful dish.  For those of you with an aversion to clicking on links, the recipe is for lamb burgers with sauteed mushrooms and onions topped with a fried egg and guacamole served on a bed of greens.

If you think the stove-top looks dirty, you should have seen it after all the cooking was done.
This was the first time I've ever consumed lamb as a burger.  I've had myself a decent chop from time to time, but in patty form the meat was foreign to me.

Notice: The consumption of raw or undercooked eggs, meat, poultry, seafood or shellfish may increase your risk of food borne illness.
I got the ground lamb directly from a grocery store butcher.  There really wasn't any indication of the leanness of the meat.  I found that when cooking it, a pretty substantial amount of fat was rendered, more than lean ground beef.  As far as taste, it wasn't terribly different from beef.  I do think that I could have seasoned the patties a bit more.  I only used black pepper and garlic powder.  After these beauties were finished, I fried up an egg while my wife and daughter finished up making the guacamole.  Here's the final product:

There's a burger beneath the delicious egg and guacamole.  I promise there is.
The result tasted pretty good.  I did make the observation that guacamole by itself can serve as a pretty delicious salad dressing.  I didn't put any dressing on the greens and I found that eating them with a little bit of guacamole was quite delicious.


Metrics
Weight: 183 lbs [-3.5lbs]*
Body Fat: 11.5% [-2%]**
Measurements: Chest 40" Waist 35.5" Hips 37" [Unchanged]
*Note the 3.5 lb decrement from Day 1 is likely a bit biased as I indulged a bit prior to the start of the challenge
 **I'm measuring body fat % using electrical impedance from a Tanita scale and is highly noisy subject to my hydration level.
Workouts
Rest day...zzzzzzz

Food Journal
Breakfast: Ham Steak
                Eggs over medium
                Strawberries
Lunch: Almond Crusted Flounder
           Asparagus
           Orange
PM Snack: Carrot Sticks
                 Almonds
Dinner: Lamb burger w/ Fried Egg, Mushrooms, Onions and Guacamole
            Served on bed of mixed greens
            Blueberries

Sleep
8 hours, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment